Advanced Head Trauma for Emergency Responders - developing skills to the level described by the ATLS® system
Advanced Head Trauma for Emergency Responders – developing skills to the level described by the ATLS® system
This course will consider best practice form the UK and across the world in the management of Head Trauma patients and work with Emergency responders to .
Students on this course will follow a simple systematic approach to the management of trauma patients through interactive tutorials, skills teaching and simulated patient management scenarios. This will lead to an assessment of capability through practical exercises using the International Trauma Life Support standard (ATLS®) with emphasis on the needs of first responders and ambulance crews. Working in small groups students will develop skills, competence and confidence in responding to both adults and children with head trauma. Our delivery team are all qualified ATLS trainers with considerable operational skill.
This practical course requires students to have an understanding of the key elements of EMT and respond to situations where they may need to stabilise, treat and evacuate people with Head trauma. The trainer will introduce the manual on day 1 before working on a series of practical demonstrations and exercises to build their skills and expand their competence. Students will be peer assessed and reviewed by the trainer to ensure that they are at the required standard.
- Head Injury Overview
- Priorities in Pre-hospital management for patients with head injury
- Identifying brain injuries amongst patients with Head Injuries
- Cervical spine injuries and Head Trauma
- Children and Head Injuries
- Observations (Glasgow Coma Score)
- How to manage Head Trauma in emergency situations
- How to manage complex injuries including Head Trauma
- How to communicate key information effectively with Emergency Room staff on route and on arrival at hospital
- How to manage Head Trauma injuries in Children and young people
The course is made up is of the following units:
The ATLS Manual and Head Trauma
Responding to Head Trauma
Head Trauma: complex injuries and children